In May 2020, Abolition 2000 Youth Network co-organized a webinar on Youth Actions for Climate, Nuclear Disarmament and Sustainable Development. Watch the webinar recordings below.
About the webinar
Youth movements for climate action, peace and nuclear disarmament have sprung up in Europe and around the world in the past few years. Young people have become concerned about existential threats to current and future generations, and increasingly frustrated at the insufficient action by governments to address these threats.
Further, the coronavirus pandemic has reinforced the need for governments and the international community to focus more on universal human security issues – like public health, climate and peace – and to move away from nationalism and militarism. Youth are well aware of the changes needed.
This webinar will include voices of civil society and youth from climate, peace, disarmament and sustainable development campaigns to inspire further action and to encourage intergenerational dialogue. It will also present Abolition 2000 Youth Network’s new project focused on the participation of youth in global, intergenerational dialogue.
While the focus of the webinar is on the youth, any civil society members interested in sustainable development, nuclear disarmament and climate action are welcome to join.
The webinar will be held in two sessions: Session 1 on May 14 timed to suit participants in the Americas, Europe and Africa. Session 2 on May 19 timed to suit participants in Asia and the Pacific.
Session 1: May 14, 2020
- Chair: Marzhan Nurzhan (Kazakhstan, Switzerland). Coodrinator, Abolition 2000 Youth Network. Deputy-Director, Basel Peace Office
- Yasmeen Silva (USA). Partnerships Manager, Beyond the Bomb
- Kehkashan Basu (UAE/Canada). Youth Ambassador, World Future Council. 2016 Children’s Peace Prize recipient.
- Akinyi Obama-Manners (Kenya). Sauti Kuu Foundation.
- Anca Gliga (USA)Representative of the UN Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth
- Chaimae Sebbani (Morocco, Czech Republic). Project leader, Youth Voices for Climate, Peace and Nuclear Disarmament
- Vanda Proskova (Czech Republic). Program Officer, PragueVision Institute for Sustainable Security
Session 2: May 19, 2020
- Chair: Vanda Proskova (Czech Republic). Program Officer, PragueVision Institute for Sustainable Security.
- Nicole Ponce (Philippines); Member of the I am Climate Justice team. Research Fellow for the Normandy Chair for Peace.
- Christopher Cruz (USA); Co-Founder / Outreach Director, Nuclear Free Schools.
- Mostafiz Ahmed (Bangladesh). PNND South Asia Youth Program Coordinator
- Junhong Min, (South Korea). Member of Friends of NPT
- Takuya Moriyama (Japan); PNND Japan Coordinator. Researcher at Peace Depot. Coordinator of the Citizens’ Watch Project (monitoring peace and denuclearisation of North East Asia).
- Nuriya Azamatova (Kazakhstan); Organizer & Ambassador, Youth Peace Week Kazakhstan.
- Sooyoung Hwang (South Korea). Disarmament Program Manager, Peoples Solidarity for Participatory Democracy (PSPD)
- Chaimae Sebbani (Morocco/Czech Republic). Project leader, Youth Voices for Climate, Peace and Nuclear Disarmament
Abolition 2000 Youth Network, World Future Council, Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-Proliferation and Disarmament, Basel Peace Office. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org