- Click here to register
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned last month that:
“From the Middle East and the Korean Peninsula to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the clouds that parted following the end of the Cold War are gathering once more. Today, humanity is just one misunderstanding, one miscalculation away from nuclear annihilation. We have been extraordinarily lucky so far. But luck is not a strategy.”
A number of proposals/initiatives for nuclear-risk reduction and disarmament were discussed during the four-week long NPT Review Conference in August, but were unable to be adopted in a consensus final document due to opposition from Russia. Can some of these initiatives be advanced and acted upon in the UN General Assembly, which does not require consensus?
There are, for example, concrete opportunities to advance nuclear-risk reduction and disarmament at the UN High Level Meeting on the Elimination of Nuclear Weapons on September 26, and in the UN Disarmament and International Security Committee, which meets from September 29 – November 4 to discuss and adopt disarmament resolutions.
Join this event to learn and discuss. For background please see the PNND blog article From NPT Review Conference to the UN General Assembly.
Chair and Welcome:
– Jana Larsen (USA). We The World
– Fabian Hamilton MP (United Kingdom). Shadow Minister for Peace and Disarmament. PNND Council Member;
– John Hallam (Australia). Co-Chair, Abolition 2000 Nuclear-Risk-Reduction Working Group. Steering Committee Member, NoFirstUse Global;
– Hanieh Jodat Barnes (USA). Roots Action. Defuse Nuclear War;
– Ivan Siluianov (Russia). Youth Fusion Team Member;
– Michaela Higgins Sørensen (Mozambique/Denmark). PNND Gender, Peace and Security Program Director. Core Team, Youth Fusion;
– Alyn Ware (New Zealand / Czech Republic). PNND Global Coordinator. Director, Basel Peace Office. Member, World Future Council.
Basel Peace Office, NoFirstUse Global, Parliamentarians for Nuclear Non-proliferation and Disarmament (PNND), People for Nuclear Disarmament, UNFOLD ZERO, We The World, World Future Council and Youth Fusion.